Likewise

Re: I prefer comedies -- brownhound
Posted by CPMariner , Wed, Dec 13, 2017, 11:00:59 Post ReplyTop of ThreadReviews by CPMarinerFirst Amendment Message BoardMain BigDoggie.net site

Somewhere along the way I lost my taste for the sturm und drang of heavy drama, and I never much cared for superheroes saving the world in the first place. After you've seen one helicopter crash and toppling tower you've seen 'em all.

I saw "A Fine Madness" years ago and remember being astonished that Connery took a chance by stepping out of his "007" cash cow, but I did enjoy it. As I recall, it's pretty close to outright slapstick, but that's fine with me. I have a special place on my shelves for such as "Blazing Saddles" and "The Money Pit" (a great sleeper if you haven't seen it... can hardly believe that the critics gave Hanks only two stars for one of funniest movies I've ever seen).

And of course: "Airplane!" for near-pure slapstick. That film manages to cram more sight gags into 1 1/2 hours than the top five competitors combined. After 4 or 5 viewings over the years, I still don't think I've caught all the gags.

(I also really enjoy "chick flicks" like "Murphy's Romance", "When Harry Met Sally", "Kate & Leopold" being among my favorites.)

So okay, I'll rent "A Fine Madness", hoping Connery doesn't spend 90% of time running around shirtless to wow the gals. (My sister and one of her friends had a Tom Selleck hangup from watching "Magnum PI". She'd be watching an episode, the phone would ring, and it'd be her friend shrieking: "I've seen this one... Tom takes his shirt off in the next scene!" :-)

CP

| Edit | Post Reply | Recommend | Alert Support Original Message Top of Thread Current page
Replies to this message